[Thunar-dev] Classic UI

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Mar 17 02:17:27 CET 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:

> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>
>> The logical, ordered, consistent part of me...
>
> You have a logical, ordered, consistent part? ;-)

Ha ha.  Bastard.  Yeah, I keep that part a secret most of the time ^_~.

>> ... absolutely screams that it has to be a double click, but I think
>> the ergonomics of the situation will force a single click.  Unless we
>> think it's valid to default to double click, with an "accessibility
>> option" to only require a single click.  I dunno.  Sounds icky either
>> way.
>
> It somehow sounds/feels like a hack.

My feelings exactly.  A software hack to overcome a hardware design
limitation.

>> On a side note, I absolultely *love* bringing in the"middle click
>> opens new window/tab" mentality from Firefox.
>
> In Firefox you click on links, not folders/files, thats a difference I
> guess.

Eh.  If you generalise more, it's not different.  In both interfaces,
you use the left button to open "something" in the current view, and the
middle button to open "something" in a new view, leaving the current
view alone.  I think it's a nice bit of cross-app consistency.  It's
like jazz: it just feels right.

    -brian