[Thunar-dev] Classic UI

Brian brian-schott at cox.net
Wed Mar 16 15:05:46 CET 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:

> While I somehow like A), I still think B) is the better alternative,
> esp. since it's similar to what GtkFileChooser does. That's just my 2
> cents, tho; I'm open for suggestions/opinions here. Maybe you can
> explain how A) should work exactly?

It would remain hidden until the user presses a key combination, such as
Ctrl + L or Ctrl + F (rox uses /). (Or as an option, It just pops up
when the user starts typing.) As characters are entered into the bar, a
search is done for the closest file name in the directory and the
corresponding icon is highlighted, or the text in the find bar turns red
if there is no match. Pressing enter would launch the program associated
with the selected file or open a folder in the current window. This
behaviour is consistent with Firefox and Rox if I remember correctly.

One of my other reasons for preferring A) is that you can allways tell
which window it's attached to. If you have more than one filer window
open it may become hard to tell which search window belongs to which. (I
know it's not very probable that this would happen, but it does seem
more natural for it to be attached)

Come to think of it, if we use A), I really don't have any reason to
argue in favor of a location bar.

thunar.cash += .02;
Brian Schott