[Thunar-dev] Classic UI

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Thu Mar 17 22:53:08 CET 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> Brian wrote:
>
>> Benedikt Meurer wrote:
>>
>>> So can we agree that we'll focus on the path bar approach with the
>>> Open Location dialog for people that want to enter URIs directly, and
>>> drop the location bar approach for now (we can add a separate
>>> location bar layout later if it's really necessary)?
>>

>> What exactly are you talking about with a "Open Location Dialog"?
>>
>> A) http://members.cox.net/brian-schott/Rox-Like-Find.png
>>    Search that pops up at the bottom like Firefox or Rox. (Find bar)
>>
>> B) http://members.cox.net/brian-schott/SeperateDialog.png
>>    Search that has its own window. (This is the way the mockup is
>> currently written)
>>
>> I like A for the same reason I don't like spatial file managers. More
>> windows to deal with and it gets a bit distracting. (I haven't written
>> any code for those, Just messed around with the gimp)
>>
>> Let me know that you think.
>

> While I somehow like A), I still think B) is the better alternative,
> esp. since it's similar to what GtkFileChooser does. That's just my 2
> cents, tho; I'm open for suggestions/opinions here. Maybe you can
> explain how A) should work exactly?

(A), as it is implemented in ROX, is the most important (hidden) feature
that makes ROX work so well for me. The minibuffer is also used for
filters and running commands (all different keyboard shortcuts: '/' ->
location, '.' -> commandline, '?' -> filter). It's a real poweruser
feature though, but that may be acceptable considering the location box
is a power feature anyway.

	Jasper