[Thunar-dev] Classic UI

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Thu Mar 17 08:18:04 CET 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:

>> This is the important question: Location bar or path bar?
>

> To be exact, the question is, do we want:
>
>  a) http://www.xfce.org/~benny/tmp/20050316-thunar-pathbar.png
>  b) http://www.xfce.org/~benny/tmp/20050316-thunar-locationbar.png
>
>  From my POV, b) offers the advantage that (desktop) search can be
> integrated as "search://" in the location bar and a search pane on the
> left.

I still very much prefer the path buttons to be the default (providing
history and quick access to parent directories) with a Ctrl-L shortcut
to a location bar with completion capabilities.

The Ctrl-L sortcut should solve most of the complaints of people wanting
a location bar, wouldn't it? The only problem is that it is much less
visible and discoverable (is that a word?).

	Jasper

PS
I personally dislike putting things in URI's that are not physical
locations. The search text entry can be in the search side bar I think.