[Thunar-dev] Classic UI

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Mar 16 22:46:44 CET 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:

>> This is the important question: Location bar or path bar?
>
> To be exact, the question is, do we want:
>
>  a) http://www.xfce.org/~benny/tmp/20050316-thunar-pathbar.png
>  b) http://www.xfce.org/~benny/tmp/20050316-thunar-locationbar.png
>
> From my POV, b) offers the advantage that (desktop) search can be
> integrated as "search://" in the location bar and a search pane on the
> left.

Oooh, tough one.  I personally would find the location bar (b) *very*
useful.  Usually when a GtkFileChooser comes up, the first thing I do is
hit ctrl+L and type in a directory name.  But at the same time, I make
almost as much use of the path bar (I assume that's what we're going to
call it from now on to avoid confusion?), especially when I'm navigating
my tree of TV episodes in Xfmedia.  Now, it occurs to me that that use
case might not spread to a file manager... but it might - I don't know.

Is it too confusing to have both?  I think perhaps the path bar should
be enabled by default, with the location bar hidden.  There's the
argument that having two things in the view menu: "Path Bar", "Location
Bar", might be confusing since they're similar, but two clicks will tell
you the difference with immediate visual feedback (well, ok, four
total), so I don't think it's a big deal.

    -brian