[Thunar-dev] Some UI Ideas

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Mon Mar 7 15:27:23 CET 2005

Jens Luedicke wrote:
> Biju Chacko wrote:
>
> | * When you DnD a file to a folder in the icon view and hold it there
> | without releasing the mouse key, what should be the correct behavior?
> | (a) do nothing
> | (b) open up a new file manager window showing that folder
> | (c) navigate to that folder.
> |
> | a is least confusing, but is also least useful.
> | b is more consistent with a spatial metaphor
> | c is more consistent with a browser metaphor
>
> [x] b

I think ROX's 'Directories spring open'-feature is confusing for a
navigational file manager. Personally, I'd be fine with either b) or c).

I agree with Botsie that it's important to be consistent here. If we
choose b) then every folder DnD operation will open a new window, no
matter if its performed on the location bar, the main view, the
shortcuts sidebar or the treeview sidebar.