[Thunar-dev] GtkFileChooser-like UI

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Mon Mar 7 10:41:11 CET 2005

Biju Chacko wrote:
>>> The row of location buttons at the top of the icon view will take up
>>> unnecessary space if the window also has a toolbar.
>>
>> Thats one of the major problems I see here as well
>> (http://thunar.xfce.org/wiki/ui:gtkfilechooser-like#possible_problems).
>> On the other side I have to admit, that I'd need a toolbar mostly to
>> press the Up-button, which is obsolete with the GtkFileChooser-like
>> approach.
>
> I suggest that you drop the toolbar all together. The only things that
> are not redundant are the "Filesystem" and "Shortcut" buttons. Perhaps
> Evolution 2.0 style buttons at the bottom of the sidebar could replace
> them?

Hm, I dunno if we need a one click solution here. IMHO, the shortcuts
bar is a good default for a GtkFileChooser-like layout and the treeview
is a good default for a Window Explorer-like layout. With these 'sane'
defaults, I think it's ok to have no 'fast-switch' buttons around (if
somebody needs them, he can enable the toolbar and add the buttons to
the toolbar).

>> That's the whole point in this discussion actually, to develop a file
>> manager for the user's needs, not a file manager for our needs. ;-)
>>
>> As said, I'm not convinced about this new layout yet, and I'm always
>> open for suggestions.
>
> I think it looks good, perhaps a little refinement may be needed. I
> think we'd need to use it in real life to get a feel for what is lacking
> or is confusing.

Grab the prototype. ;-)

> -- b

greets,