[Thunar-dev] GtkFileChooser-like UI

Biju Chacko botsie at xfce.org
Mon Mar 7 08:41:24 CET 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> Jeff Franks wrote:
>> The row of location buttons at the top of the icon view will take up
>> unnecessary space if the window also has a toolbar.
>

> Thats one of the major problems I see here as well
> (http://thunar.xfce.org/wiki/ui:gtkfilechooser-like#possible_problems).
> On the other side I have to admit, that I'd need a toolbar mostly to
> press the Up-button, which is obsolete with the GtkFileChooser-like
> approach.

I suggest that you drop the toolbar all together. The only things that
are not redundant are the "Filesystem" and "Shortcut" buttons. Perhaps
Evolution 2.0 style buttons at the bottom of the sidebar could replace them?

> That's the whole point in this discussion actually, to develop a file
> manager for the user's needs, not a file manager for our needs. ;-)
>
> As said, I'm not convinced about this new layout yet, and I'm always
> open for suggestions.

I think it looks good, perhaps a little refinement may be needed. I
think we'd need to use it in real life to get a feel for what is lacking
or is confusing.

-- b