[Thunar-dev] xfdesktop future

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Tue Mar 1 20:30:33 CET 2005

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry for the cross-post, but I think this is relevant to both lists, at
> least initially.  Feel free to drop one or the other of your reply list
> if you feel otherwise.
>
> After participating in discussion as to what Thunar (Xfce's new file
> manager, for those of you out of the loop) is going to be like, it
> occurs to me that there still may be people that want to use a file
> manager (maybe ours, maybe not), and have icons on the desktop (and have
> them look Xfce-ish: that is, they may not want to use Nautilus, etc. to
> draw their desktop).  It further occurs to me that there may also be
> people (possibly including myself, depending on how Thunar turns out)
> who don't really want to use a file manager, but who might still want
> icons on their desktop.

True. I was hoping we could use thunar to draw these icons too. Ah, you
say that as well ;)

> So, I'm going to implement desktop icon support in xfdesktop, and
> hopefully we'll use some or all of that code for Thunar's
> desktop-drawing support (assuming that's still something Thunar is going
> to do).  It'll be modular, like the menu, and can be unloaded and
> removed completely if you don't want it, so if I hear any complaints
> about bloat, I'm going to personally come to your house and call
> gtk_widget_destroy(your_computer).  Or I'll send nestu to do it.  The
> goal is to mimic Thunar's icon view, so it looks and behaves similarly,
> so I'll adapt to that as it evolves.
>
> Any thoughts?

Might be a bit early since there is currently no code for thunar.

It is certainly something to discuss though. How do we see the future of
xfdesktop and the desktop menu. Since we are trying to have separate
apps for separate functionality it does sound reasonable to me that
xfdesktop will remain in charge of drawing the desktop, hopefully using
code from thunar for the optional icons.

	Jasper