[Thunar-dev] xfdesktop future

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Tue Mar 1 20:07:14 CET 2005

Hi all,

Sorry for the cross-post, but I think this is relevant to both lists, at
least initially.  Feel free to drop one or the other of your reply list
if you feel otherwise.

After participating in discussion as to what Thunar (Xfce's new file
manager, for those of you out of the loop) is going to be like, it
occurs to me that there still may be people that want to use a file
manager (maybe ours, maybe not), and have icons on the desktop (and have
them look Xfce-ish: that is, they may not want to use Nautilus, etc. to
draw their desktop).  It further occurs to me that there may also be
people (possibly including myself, depending on how Thunar turns out)
who don't really want to use a file manager, but who might still want
icons on their desktop.

So, I'm going to implement desktop icon support in xfdesktop, and
hopefully we'll use some or all of that code for Thunar's
desktop-drawing support (assuming that's still something Thunar is going
to do).  It'll be modular, like the menu, and can be unloaded and
removed completely if you don't want it, so if I hear any complaints
about bloat, I'm going to personally come to your house and call
gtk_widget_destroy(your_computer).  Or I'll send nestu to do it.  The
goal is to mimic Thunar's icon view, so it looks and behaves similarly,
so I'll adapt to that as it evolves.

Any thoughts?

    -brian