[Thunar-dev] vfs & samba

Benedikt Meurer benny at xfce.org
Thu Jun 30 13:38:38 CEST 2005

Jaap Karssenberg wrote:
>> The application "tells" the file manager whether it can accept URIs
>> (see the desktop entry spec for details). If the application
>> supports only local paths, the file manager automatically downloads
>> the file to a temporary location and fires the application on the
>> temporary file.
>
> Resulting in a temporary file of 1 or 2Gb for a movie on a samba
> share? No thanks.
>
> May I request that this action for applications that do not support
> vfs is configurable for power users ? Make it an external binary that
> is executed with the vfs path as argument and that returns a local
> path on stdout. Make the path to this binary a hidden preference.
> This way a power user (or the administrator of a public workstation)
> can put a script there to for example translate smb:// uris to an
> autofs directory. Also if the Fuse api for D-vfs gets done, such a
> script can be used to let non-vfs-aware applications use vfs
> transparently. This would seem a very clean option to me, giving
> power to the user but hiding the ugly details under the hood.

Well, it's the suggested standard way. If the D-VFS people can come up
with a better solution (probably using the script way), that's platform
independent, we'll happily use that.

But that's all far into the future. I don't expect D-VFS to be usable
before Thunar 2.0/3.0, maybe in about 2-3 years.

Xfce  --  small, stable, fast  --  http://www.xfce.org/

           (__)
           (oo)
     /------\/