[Thunar-dev] Proposed preferences for Thunar

Benedikt Meurer benny at xfce.org
Thu Jun 30 11:08:22 CEST 2005

Biju Chacko wrote:
>>>IMHO if you make it look like the gtk filechooser make sure it
>>>behaves consistent with it. For the user it is very confusing when
>>>things look the same but behave differently. Besides, if the gtk
>>>people found this behaviour intuitive enough why disagree with them?
>>

>>A valid point indeed. Botsie, what was the point to do otherwise, I
>>don't remember? ;-)
>

> I don't exactly remember either. My main crib with the Gtk chooser
> location bar is that it is very easy to get confused with where exactly
> you are in the directory tree. Compare:
>
> * Read the name of the last button
>
> With
>
> * Scan the buttons (and scroll if necessary)
>
> * Locate the button in the pressed state.
>
> * Read the label of that button.
>
> IAC, I don't think we should blindly assume that the GTK folks are
> somehow smarter than us.
>
> Consistency should be a criteria only when basic usability of all
> options has been established. To put it crudely, why screw something up
> just because the GTK guys have screwed it up already.

It does behave similar to GtkFileChooser now, but that's really easy to
change (only one simple function needs to be adjusted). Personally, I
dunno whats better. I think both arguments are valid, the consistency
argument and the confusion argument.

> -- b

Xfce  --  small, stable, fast  --  http://www.xfce.org/

           (__)