[Thunar-dev] whish list

Jaap Karssenberg j.g.karssenberg at student.utwente.nl
Wed Jun 29 21:24:16 CEST 2005

Lectori Salutem,

Got thunar to compile :) only needed all libs from svn but ok. Below some brainstorm ideas. Probably these conflict with the "as simple as possible" rule.

I've ported quite some users to xfce desktops lately. Personally I prefer to use rox with xfce, but for most users I enable the kde feature in the session configuration and install konqueror as file manager.

There are two features on my whish list that I absolutely need to satisfy my users:

- the two-paned "commander" interface (but not as default pls)
- samba support

This second one, of course, is a bitch. Personally I believe that the only place where samba should be supported is in autofs or a virtual filesystem like lufs or fuse. But in order to get my users to use the autofs dir I give them they need a bit of optical glue, they need to have the feeling that their file manager is browsing shares :( At this moment I don't have a clear solution for this. But not totally unrelated to this topic: what are the thoughts about plugins?

One whishlist item I would like to see personally:

- a shelf

this is an idea I saw in the NextOS file manager and it is like a clipboard for files. I think this feature could be integrated with a bookmarks feature. The idea is that this shelf looks like a bookmarks toolbar with icons; if you drag a file to this shelf it isn't copied, it's just referenced. Later I can drag the file from the shelf to another directory to copy/move it there. If you click a icon in this shelf it functions look a bookmark, i.e. its directory is opened.

Anyway I'll have a close look at the sources tonight.

-- Pardus