[Thunar-dev] Newbie question

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sat Jun 11 12:18:08 CEST 2005

Pat Carr wrote:
>>automake: configure.ac <http://configure.ac>: installing `./install-sh'
>>automake: configure.ac <http://configure.ac>: installing `./mkinstalldirs'
>>automake: configure.ac <http://configure.ac>: installing `./missing'
>>automake: configure.ac <http://configure.ac>: installing `./config.guess'
>>automake: configure.ac <http://configure.ac>: installing `./config.sub'
>>configure.ac:30 <http://configure.ac:30>: error: possibly undefined
>>macro: AC_PACKAGE_TARNAME
>>      If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>>      See the Autoconf documentation.
>>configure.ac:30 <http://configure.ac:30>: error: possibly undefined
>>macro: AC_PACKAGE_VERSION
>>
>>What am I doing wrong?

Well, this looks pretty much like a b0rked autoconf installation. Both
AC_PACKAGE_TARNAME and AC_PACKAGE_VERSION are provided by autoconf
itself. Where did you install autoconf? Which version? Value of
$ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS?

>    Sorry to say that I don't know, but I've had some problems to get
> libexo to compile and now with thunar as well, so I put together a[n
> incomplete] howididit hoping that it may help somebody else.
>    http://patocarr.com/cgi-bin/pwiki.pl?HackingThunar
>    I'm still trying to figure out how to get thunar to compile, so if
> you have any ideas or got any further, please let me know.

The linker fails because g_filename_display_basename() is only available
with glib 2.6 and above. I dunno yet if Thunar will run with Gtk
2.4/GLib 2.4 later, but for the development stage Gtk 2.6/GLib 2.6 will
be required. IIRC, FC3 saw an update to glib 2.6 some time ago, so that
should be no problem.

> O brigado
> -P@

greets,