[Thunar-dev] Website

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Fri Jun 3 22:41:44 CEST 2005

Foxtrot wrote:
>>I like your ideas. Concerning additional information: It'd be nice to
>>have some background information (updated regularly) about the
>>development, design decisions (why does Thunar do it that way), and the
>>like, on the website (dunno how to integrate that with the rest of the
>>site).
>
> I would have thought that these were things better suited for the
> wiki, but I did have an idea of an extended "Goals" section, which I
> must have forgotten somewhere along designing.

I'd prefer having it on the website (not every little bit of
information, just the important stuff).

>>Personally, I prefer clean, simple sites with focus on the contents, but
>>still visually appealing. For example, I like the design of the Beagle
>>website (http://beaglewiki.org/). I don't know Tomboy, but if you are
>>talking about http://www.beatniksoftware.com/tomboy/, then yes, that's a
>>good example. I'm curious to see your design. ;-)
>
> I like those sites too, I just don't like designing sites like that.
> :-P Anyway, one of the reasons I thought of a night sky with thunder
> is because white text on a blue background is allegedly easier to
> read. Anyway, here's a link to a very quick mockup:
>
> http://www.freewebs.com/halol/thunar/index.html
>
> It might take some time to load as it's on Freewebs. What it shows is
> a fixed width site with some of the contents and the main design
> ideas. Stuff like a point list for a menu will be removed while I'm
> polishing. Basically, this is a colour scheme (the background probably
> won't be white, though), a layout, and some structural organisation
> (in terms of markup and of content). I haven't gotten any details down
> yet, like hover states, etc.
>
> What I'm worried about is if it's too much "fun", or as you put it,
> I'm not sure it's simple enough with enough focus on content.

I think the blue is too intensive. What about a less-intensive blue? The
general idea with the clouds and the grass is nice. Also the menu on the
right is IMHO better than having it on the left (but don't ask me why :-).

And a small correction: Thunar is not meant to replace Xffm. It's just
an alternative to Xffm. Xffm development will continue.

greets,