[Thunar-dev] next step in thunar development

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Fri Jun 3 18:03:05 CEST 2005

Jeff Franks wrote:
>>>I've been going through thunar.xmi and the layout seems to look good,
>>>but I do have a question about ThunarView. The name is confusing because
>>>"View" is usually applied to a physical widget, such as you have done
>>>with ThunarTreeView and ThunarIconView, but ThunarView is an interface.
>>>Is it really needed? If so, for consistency wouldn't it be better to
>>>give it a name that ended in "Model", like ThunarWindowModel or something.
>>
>>No, a model provides access to data, while a view provides a view of a
>>model, which is exactly what ThunarView (or better it's subclasses do).
>
> Then ThunarView is an abtract base class not a GtkTreeModel, but it
> implements the ThunarListModel interface. What does ThunarView derive from?

ThunarView uses ThunarListModel, it does not inherit from it
(ThunarListModel is a class, not an interface). It's an association, not
a generalization. ;-)

ThunarView does not derived from anything, nor does extend any other
interface. It's an interface that describes a way for the surrounding
ThunarWindow (or whatever other consumers there'll be in the future) to
communicate with a view. E.g. it describes the protocol to query the
additional actions from a view, etc.

> Jeff.

greets,