[Thunar-dev] Help needed? -> next steps

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu Jun 2 13:19:45 CEST 2005

You're missing an import point here: This is an open source project. The
project manager is not responsible for you. I cannot (and will not)
force anybody into anything. E.g. if you decide to debate endlessly,
that's your choice, your right and you are responsible, I cannot stop
that. Likewise I have the right to ignore the debates, when I have the
feeling that the discussion will not produce any useful results or there
are more important things. I'm not responsible for telling you what I
think (I already did that too often). But if you really want to know
again: I think, that those UI, language and similar discussions don't
led us anywhere now. It's time to get started with thinking about the
design and implementation of the project (and no, this does not imply
language discussions), and that's what I did. I tried to get people
involved 2-3 months ago already, but discussion went off-topic. So - as
I won't force people into anything - there was not much I could do
except for ignoring the debates and starting off for myself.

You said, you want me to provide modules for others to implement. That's
ok. I'll do that. But to do that, I'll have to work out the core first,
so you'll have to wait.

That's my definition of open source and my definition of freedom. You
are free to do the wrong thing, and I am free to let you do that. In the
end, we are all responsible for ourselves. That's how it is. If you
cannot live with that, and you prefer a project were the project
managers tells you exactly what you have to do with your time, then
Thunar is not the right project for you (and probably most other open
sources projects won't be either).