[Thunar-dev] Help needed? -> next steps

Rodrigo Coacci rcoacci at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 01:59:51 CEST 2005

Well, guys, I'm a Science Computer stundent in Brazil and I'm really
interested in help developing Thunar, I have some C experience, and already
started a File Manager on my own with wxWidgets. Then I found Thunar and got
really interested in it since I like Xfce a lot. So I abandoned my project
in favor of Thunar, but my fileman was completely GUI oriented programming
and so I don't really have any ideas on how to do it, as you guys said,
independent on the GUI. And that's why, IMHO, that Thunar haven't got many
*real* development activity. I guess there are a lot more people just like
me, even on this list, who would like to help but have no experience with
this kind of project, and needed some help just on how to start it.

Sorry for my english, and for my inexperience.

2005/6/1, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu>:

> Benedikt Meurer wrote:
>
> > Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> >
> >> Benedikt: Ok, it's time. We've been very patient. You
> >> disappeared for two months, without any information as to your
> >> position or your intentions. I understand that sometimes we get
> >> burned out on things (in fact, I'm an expert at getting burned
> >> out on things), but, to be blunt, you've been very rude in not
> >> letting us know your plans. As Auke so simply put it: "please
> >> explain now."
> >
> > My feeling was (and still is) that the latest happenings on
> > thunar-dev were/are no longer in-line with the initial goals: More
> > and more features were requested...
>
> Fine. You were running the project, so put your foot down and draw
> the line. I shouldn't need to tell you this: you're already a more
> than competent project leader. Personally, I thought we were at a
> pretty good stage, at least with the UI (in that it was mostly settled).
>
> > ... nobody seemed to have any interested in development...
>
> It's hard to get people interested without code. It sucks, but that's
> generally how it is in the OSS world, and it's usually the project
> leader that has to do some initial work. I see that you've been
> committing to libexo during the past week, and it now has ExoMimeInfo
> and ExoMimeDatabase. This is good, but I think if real concrete work
> had started earlier, and had been more public, people would be more
> interested in development. At the very least, we (or you) could have
> clearly defined some of the interfaces, and asked people to implement
> them.
>
> > ... instead names were discussed extensively...
>
> It was a topic. Maybe it went on a bit too long, but it happens. If
> you want the discussion to go in a particular direction, you have to
> push it that way. Complaining about it in your head isn't going to
> get you anywhere.
>
> > ... or sentences like "let's start by translating Python to C" came
> > up, etc.; all this is not in-line with Thunar's goals.
>
> All I recall on this was someone offering to take the python mockup
> and "translate" it to a C implementation. Not really the right way to
> start the project, IMO, but it was someone who was interested in doing
> some work, exactly what you say was lacking. What this guy needed was
> to be pushed in the right direction, not to be ignored for not
> "getting it".
>
> > Somehow Thunar was hyped too much already. People who know me are
> > aware that I don't give a damn for hypes. Hypes are for the masses.
> > I prefer quality.
>
> Agree. But right now we don't even have quality: we have vapor, and
> an uncommunicative project leader.
>
> > Since nobody knows what Xfce's goals are exactly (and no,
> > lightweight is not really a useful goal here, as it's more of a
> > result of good design, and thereby the result of reaching a goal,
> > rather than a goal of it's own), it's hard to tell whether Xfce's
> [...]

Abraços,
Rodrigo