[Thunar-dev] Help needed? -> next steps

Emil Jacobs q.collective at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 22:03:30 CEST 2005

On 6/1/05, Benedikt Meurer <benny at xfce.org> wrote:
> My feeling was (and still is) that the latest happenings on thunar-dev
> were/are no longer in-line with the initial goals: More and more
> features were requested
Actually, I thought we settled there some time ago

> nobody seemed to have any interested in development
We were waiting for you really

> instead names were discussed extensively or sentences like
> "let's start by translating Python to C" came up, etc.; all this is not
> in-line with Thunar's goals.
That is a very recent discussion, this list was dead for more then a month.
So I started this discussion to try to get the ball rolling again, I
really don't care in what language Thunar gets developed, as long as
it *gets* developed.
The name thing was a direct result of the conclusion that you wanted
to take Thunar with you, outside xfce, so there were some thoughts on
a fork, hence the name discussion.

> Somehow Thunar was hyped too much already. People who know me are aware
> that I don't give a damn for hypes. Hypes are for the masses. I prefer
> quality.
My suggestions about hypes is to ignore them :)

> Since nobody knows what Xfce's goals are exactly (and no, lightweight is
> not really a useful goal here, as it's more of a result of good design,
> and thereby the result of reaching a goal, rather than a goal of it's
> own), it's hard to tell whether Xfce's goals are in-line with Thunar's
> goals (one of the things about Xfce, that are very frustating for me).
Well, things were going well before you left, I at least heared no complains.
So, the goals of Thunar == goals of xfce for a new filemanager
So, what has changed? Exactly, you left, we waited for a long time,
and then you come back from the dead, saying on your weblog that xfce
bores you these days.
All fine by me, but xfce's goals are clear enough.

> PS: I dunno about you, but I for myself have a real-life, that sometimes
> requires me to spend one or two months on a project, with little to no
> spare time (atleast no spare time to waste for endless debates).
Ofcourse, but please don't just disappear without saying anything,
that has left us totally inoperable.

Disclaimer: I may have sound a bit harsh here, although that was not
my intention, I just wanted to be honest. I really don't want Thunar
to be forked or anything. So if you want to stick around, please do!
But things have to change then (in organisation), I hope we can agree
on that.

cheers

Emil