[Thunar-dev] folders views

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sun Jul 31 15:29:56 CEST 2005

Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
>>I think it's better to know what yor're aiming at before to start
>>coding. I've coded a little (not much, and not too complicated stuff)
>>and that way works better for me so I thought it would help developers...
>
> Yeah, you are right, but it also helps a lot to have some basic
> framework ready to start from. My impression was that the things you
> mentioned were not so fundamental that they needed to be decided before
> starting to code.
>
> I'm not working on thunar code, so don't take my word to mean too much ;-)

I agree with Jasper here. We have defined a basic framework previously,
which gives the rough direction for design/development. What you are
talking about are implementation details (from the developments point of
view) and can be figured while we are progressing. What is being
imported into Xfce SVN right now is more the very first version of
something working, and can thereby only be considered a prototype, which
will undergo some necessary, fundamental changes over time anyways (for
example, I don't like certain parts of the Thunar-VFS library currently,
but I've no idea how to improve it yet). It's like with any non-trivial
piece of software. Software engineering (I consider UI design part of it
here) works best in an incremental way, as - unlike for nearly every
other science - there is no way to easily verify designs or programs.

> 	Jasper

greets,