[Thunar-dev] Proposed preferences for Thunar

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 23:39:47 CEST 2005

On 7/1/05, Biju Chacko <botsie at xfce.org> wrote:
> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> >
> > Biju Chacko wrote:

> >>I don't exactly remember either. My main crib with the Gtk chooser
> >>location bar is that it is very easy to get confused with where exactly
> >>you are in the directory tree. Compare:
> >>
> >>* Read the name of the last button
> >>
> >>With
> >>
> >>* Scan the buttons (and scroll if necessary)
> >>
> >>* Locate the button in the pressed state.
> >>
> >>* Read the label of that button.
> >>
> >>IAC, I don't think we should blindly assume that the GTK folks are
> >>somehow smarter than us.
> >>
> >>Consistency should be a criteria only when basic usability of all
> >>options has been established. To put it crudely, why screw something up
> >>just because the GTK guys have screwed it up already.
> >

> > I agree with your point, but I guess I just don't find it confusing at
> > all.  Usually there are very few buttons in the pressed state, and
> > pressed vs. non-pressed is very obvious to the eye (well, this is
> > theme-dependent, but I haven't seen a theme where this is ambiguous to
> > me).  Also, if you navigate to a new directory (not using the buttons),
> > I believe the button bar makes sure the button for the current directory
> > is visible.  If this isn't the case, then I think this would be a fine
> > improvement over GtkFileChooser (that is, fixing something the GTK guys
> > have screwed up already ^_^).
>

> Actually, 'confusing' is not exactly the right word. Probably a better
> way to describe it would be to say that the GTK location bar presents
> too much information in such a way that it slightly obscures the most
> commonly needed information.
>
> The most common case "what is the $CWD?" should be be clearer or more
> obvious than it is in the GtkFileChooser.

The common case is that someone decends a few folders and then needs
to jump back up, either to check something up higher, or renavigate.

In the prior case then the GtkFileChooser behaviour is perfect.
Otherwise, in 90% of the cases, the user will never be fighting to
figure out the CWD.

So, I think that the lack of consistency is more problematic than the
extra milliseconds of cognitive overhead to determine the CWD.

> -- b

"This brings me back to a time where I had no worries.
All I needed to do was watch Perfect Strangers."
-Erik