[Thunar-dev] Thunar is not ROX

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Fri Jul 1 00:03:05 CEST 2005

Just talked to Ori on IRC concerning certain ROX features, and why not
to include them. I think it's important to remember that Thunar is not
ROX and we have completely different goals. There's no need to emulate
ROX, as people that want to use ROX will happily use ROX. We don't need
another "RiscOS on UniX", instead our goal is to be easy to use and
consistent with other modern Unix/Linux desktop apps.

You may think that I'm too restrictive with feature adoptions - and
that's what I am, yes - but it seems to be the only way to ensure that
we don't go into the wrong direction currently, IMHO. We have defined a
good set of basic features 3 months ago and there was a lot of
discussion to find the right way(TM). Now it's time to get something
running with that feature set.

The plugin system will enable a wide range of UI controls that behave
differently, but for the beginning, we need to get the core running,
which implements the basic feature set we agreed on and everybody is
expecting from Thunar 1.0.