[Thunar-dev] Spatial or not-spatial?

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Mon Feb 28 19:35:05 CET 2005

Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
>> This brings us back to the 'spatial' or 'non-spatial' dilemma. I hope
>> I was clear in my dev-room meeting that something purely spatial will
>> not fit our needs... however, and this is a point that Benny missed by
>> being gloriously absent, an Xfce wrapped with a file manager may very
>> well be not what every seasoned user want, and the modular setup of
>> Xfce will provide him with alternative ways to play with his files.
>
> That was a very interesting point you made and maybe we can try a
> facilitate that by separating viewer (the GUI) and the file operations
> (library, daemon?). Ah, like you say in the next part ;-)

Please, not again. Of course you can do this, but as said earlier, I
don't think, you'd call the result lightweight (atleast if its done
properly). Put a file manager into a library sounds like KDE to me.

If you are only talking about the very basic file operations, then I'd
like to disagree as well here. I don't think the world needs another
desktop vfs library. If this is really necessary, then we should use
gnome-vfs or wait for the fdo people to come up with something.

Whatever, we should not forget that the goal is to create a simple file
manager.