[Thunar-dev] Virtual root node

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Tue Feb 15 23:26:36 CET 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> I came across this question yesterday evening:
>
> Should we have a virtual root node like `Computer' (Gnome) or something
> like that? So all other nodes (Filesystem, Home, Removable Media) are
> children of that node.
>
> The reasons leading to this:
>
>  1) With the current design ideas, we have a special URI media type
> 'home://' that refers to files belows the users home directory. And
> going `Up' from 'home://' should not be possible (atleast it should not
> jump to 'file:///usr/home' then). But not being able to go `Up' from
> $HOME is a bit too restrictive and not very easy.

If you want to see this problem, install xffm 4.3, run xfce4-fm, click
on 'Home' and then click on the 'Up' arrow. You'll end up in /usr/home.
Since you started in another directory (actually some kind of virtual
root node), and the 'Home' item wasn't marked as `symbolic link' in any
way, you'd expect to go back to that virtual root node when pressing 'Up'.