[Thunar-dev] Virtual root node

Benedikt Meurer benny at xfce.org
Tue Feb 15 23:23:23 CET 2005

I came across this question yesterday evening:

Should we have a virtual root node like `Computer' (Gnome) or something
like that? So all other nodes (Filesystem, Home, Removable Media) are
children of that node.

The reasons leading to this:

  1) With the current design ideas, we have a special URI media type
'home://' that refers to files belows the users home directory. And
going `Up' from 'home://' should not be possible (atleast it should not
jump to 'file:///usr/home' then). But not being able to go `Up' from
$HOME is a bit too restrictive and not very easy.

  2) Having 3 or 4 toplevel root nodes in a treepane seems to be very
uncommon for a software that handles files/directories. A single root
node seems to be the common case here (e.g. `Computer' in Gnome,
`Desktop' in Windows, `/' in KDE, ...).

Opinions?

greets,

Xfce  --  small, stable, fast  --  http://www.xfce.org/