[Thunar-dev] Re: Thunar-dev Digest, Vol 3, Issue 5

Jari Rahkonen jari.rahkonen at pp1.inet.fi
Wed Apr 13 09:32:57 CEST 2005

Joe Crawford wrote:

>[SNIP]
>

>>Huh.  That it does.  I stand corrected.  And it occurs to me that the
>>two shortcuts have a different purpose: ctrl+L opens an empty location
>>box, whereas '/' opens the box and prefills it with '/'.  So the former
>>is for navigating relative to the current path, and the latter is for
>>navigating via an absolute path.  So I suppose having both makes some
>>amount of sense.  It's just hard to make them *both* discoverable
>>without having an extra menu item that does almost the same thing.

Do they both really need to be easily discoverable? Couldn't you just
make Ctrl+L the 'official' one and have / as a 'hidden' shortcut for
consistency with GtkFileChooser? No need to clutter the menus when
simple and usable is what you want.

>If you simply fill the location box with the current path and select
>all text as it comes up, it will be ultra easy to type a relative path
>or a absolute path, by either typing right away, (replacing the text),
>or typing first a backslash, or pushing the arrow key right or left to
>put the cursor where you want it. Using this method would be very
>convienient without an extra menu entry.

I could get used to this, I guess. Except that typing a slash should
not continue a relative path, when the path is preselected. It should
of course replace the path with a slash (to start an absolute path).
I presume you did mean slash (/) instead of backslash (\). Otherwise
I just didn't get the point.

>[SNIP]
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Joe Crawford