[Installit-dev] First main window contents

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Fri Mar 17 00:47:31 CET 2006

Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> Hey all (especially Benny who asked for it),

Hey Jannis,

> you can now play around with the main window a little bit. I've written
> three package descriptions which you can fetch from the Xfce server. It
> could use few more packages for real testing, but so far I could not
> encourage anyone else to write some (based one the existing ones).
>
> Here's how to check out what I'm talking about:
>
> 1. Get a fresh copy of i2t:
>      svn co http://svn.xfce.org/svn/xfce/installit/trunk i2t-trunk
> 2. Go into the directory:
>      cd i2t-trunk
> 3. Execute the main script:
>      python i2t

How about adding executable bit? ;-)

> 4. Go to:
>      Actions -> Update packages
>
>    Alternatively, you can make the toolbar visible (using Ctrl-T) and
>    click the refresh button.

Toolbar item tooltips would be nice.

> 5.   Right-click on the package view or use the toolbar or menu actions
>    for marking packages for installation or removal.
>
> Don't wonder about the toolbar placement as I'm not sure about it yet.
> Olivier says it's wasted space, but the title frame is wasted space
> anyway and I think it's good to have the most important tools near to
> the actual working range/radius of the user.

How about vertical toolbar on the right side? I think the toolbar is an
important UI element that should be enabled by default. Else the users
will be forced to discover the important actions by looking throughs the
menus first.

> Hope you like it,

Definitely, looks nice. One thing I noticed is that the "Updating
packages" dialog seems to "jump around" (this is probably because of
smart placement in xfwm4). How about reusing the first dialog (not a
biggie, tho, just looks kinda odd)?

> Jannis

Benedikt