[Goodies-dev] How to write panel plugins?

Serge Stroobandt serge at stroobandt.com
Thu Aug 23 22:35:31 CEST 2012

Dear Lucas,
Dear Group,

I find myself in a very similar situation as yours; I am also a GNOME
refugee running Linux Mint XFCE Debian edition and willing to contribute
a places-related panel application written in Python. I recently posted
about it here but I was not so lucky to receive any replies.

Here is what I found out so far:
XFCE is indeed programmed in C with GTK+. There are a couple of C
libraries/APIs to help developers with the kind of integration you are
looking for.
An initiative for creating a similar set of Python bindings
http://pyxfce.xfce.org/ appears to have suffered a silent dead without
any release.
This is a real pity because it shunts out the growing number of
potential Python-only panel app contributers out there. (Like the both
of us ;-)
I also found the following recent forum thread to be very instructive:
http://old.nabble.com/Are-there-python-hooks-and-or-APIs-for-creating-apps-for-xfce4--td33054067.html

In the mean time, I have realised that my trivial but handy "Recent
Folders" app can perfectly live on its own on github since it also
serves other GTK+ desktops.
Feel free to check it out here: https://github.com/on4aa/recentfolders
I am planning to soon also publish a Debian package of it. This will
solve some of the menu integration issues.

With kind regards,
Serge