[Goodies-dev] How to write panel plugins?

Lucas Sichardt lucas.sichardt at posteo.de
Sun Aug 19 18:37:00 CEST 2012

Hello everybody,

I'm a newbie in this but I would really like to write one or another panel
plugin for Xfce. As I've switched from Gnome 2 to Xfce on my main machine
I now have discovered Xfce much more and I really like it. In fact I think
it's better than even Gnome 2 - but missing some useful plugins perhaps.

Unfortunately I do not know how to write my own plugins. For a beginning
it would just be a starter for a specific application (though this can be
done with the regular starter plugin as well). Later I'll perhaps try to
rebuild Gnome's popular Applications-Places-System menu. I've done that by
copying and editing the menu file and it works fine so far. But it really
lacks the possibility of editing the menu by a GUI.

That much concerning my intentions.
Perhaps one of you can help me getting started with writing panel plugins.
What I need to know at first is which language to take. I'm used to Python
but I guess the odds are bad that Xfce's panel plugins are written in
Python ;) So which language is used?
Perhaps one can provide a link to a good tutorial or an easy example
plugin to study - my internet research did not help me here...

Thanks for your attention.

Best regards,

Lucas

--

gesendet mit pera 12 unter Linux Mint 13 Maya Xfce