[Goodies-dev] Newbie wants to work on xfce4-cpugraph-plugin

Michael Orlitzky michael at orlitzky.com
Fri Nov 4 22:58:38 CET 2011

On 11/04/11 17:27, Christian Leitold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 4 November 2011 00:59, Connor Behan <connor.behan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Keep two directories of the xfce4-cpugraph-plugin source... one that you
>> modify and one you don't. If the modified plugin compiles on your system, go
>> to that directory and run "sudo make install". That will overwrite the old
>> copy of xfce4-cpugraph-plugin on your system and all you will need to do to
>> test your changes is restart the panel.
>
> It seems that this does not work for me. I have changed some obvious
> settings (labels of the check boxes in properties.c), yet after an
> make install as root, I still have the same default applet. Even after
> logging out and starting a new session.

The new plugin probably got installed in /usr/local/, whereas your
machine by default looks to /usr/.

I haven't tested recently, but if you already had the plugin installed,
you should be able to kill the old one, and run the new one directly
from the source directory. I.e,

  ./src/xfce4-cpugraph-plugin

or whatever the path to the binary is. Likewise you could run it from
wherever-it-got-installed when you did a make install.