[Goodies-dev] Can I become the maintainer for these panel plugins?

Florian Rivoal frivoal at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 17:24:05 CEST 2010

>> xfce4-time-out-plugin:      Seems unmaintained, many reported bugs
>
> Feel free to take over maintainership for this one. I haven't been
> using it in years and I neither have plans for it, nor do I have the
> time to work on some of the features requested in bugzilla. I still
> think it can be very useful though, so it might be worth improving it.
>
>> xfce4-verve-plugin:         Seems unmaintained, a few reported bugs
>
> This is a very simple plugin, you can't do wrong much here. So I'm fine
> if you maintain it.

Thanks. I'll try to do good things to these two.

> A side note: Maybe you should only take over maintainership for those
> goodies you're interested in yourself. The list of goodies you posted is
> rather long, so don't put too much weight and responsibility on your
> shoulders. ;)

I am unlikely to be writing many new features from scratch for most of
these plugins, even though for some, I have a couple of ideas or itches to
scratch. On the other hand, I am quite amazed at the percentage of the
feature requests or bug reports that come with a patch (I wish I had this
in my day job), and by the amount of work done by the translators. I think
it is a pity to let all that good work go stale and unused, and I don't
think that just reviewing and integrating this should be all that much
work. Even if I only do that, it would be an improvement compared to being
unmaintained, and if I add some more code of my own, then all the better.
That's why I am willing to take on a number of plugins that probably
wouldn't be reasonable if I was thinking of actively developing all of
them. But thanks for the words of caution anyway.

  - Florian