[Goodies-dev] Can I become the maintainer for these panel plugins?

Florian Rivoal frivoal at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 16:30:25 CEST 2010

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 16:21:22 +0900, Landry Breuil
<landry.breuil at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Florian Rivoal <frivoal at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> xfce4-diskperf-plugin:      Listed as maintained by Landry Breuil
>> xfce4-wavelan-plugin:       Listed as maintained by Landry Breui
>
> You can takeover maintenance for those, i only did interim
> maintenance, merging OpenBSD-specific patches i had in my tree and
> fixing a bunch of bugs for a pair of releases. I'll make sure it still
> works on !linux, as for the monitor plugin merge :)

Personally I use Linux, but I care about the stuff I maintain working on
the other OSes too, so I'll be careful. That said, any help testing is
more than welcome.

>> xfce4-battery-plugin:       Seems unmaintained, many reported bugs
>
> Please don't ditch it in favor the upower/etc, i'm using it and it
> works on platforms where HAL/upower doesn't exist. And i have patches
> for it i'd like to merge at some point.

Porting to Hal doesn't make much sense at this point. I was thinking a bit
about upower, since there Ali started a porting branch, but you make a
good point. It is probably better for the power manager to focus on fancy
technologies, while xfce4-barrery-plugin should have more limited
functionality, but be closer to the metal, with fewer dependencies. I am
curious: which platform doesn't have upower? Is it not available on *BSD?

Once I take over (if nobody claims ownership first), your patches will be
welcome.

>> xfce4-weather-plugin:       Seems unmaintained, a few reported bugs
>
> Iirc, colin leroy did a good work overhauling it recently (~1yr ago).
> Maybe he still wants to maintain it.

It does work pretty well indeed, and if Colin wants to keep working on it,
that's great. I am only offering to rescue orphans, I don't want to kidnap
anything.

  - Florian