[Goodies-dev] xfce goodies icon naming standard

timystery at arcor.de timystery at arcor.de
Thu Nov 4 19:58:58 CET 2010

> It would indeed be nice if panel plugins look more the same in the
> future, as you mentioned, icon(-names) and preferences dialogs are one
> of them. We could setup a wiki or create bugs in the bugtracker (i
> prefer this) to open bugs on each plugin to match the 'standard' which
> we obviously have to design first.

We don't need to create wiki or design standard, there is already the wiki that you actually referenced below for these purposes which I as a panel-plugin developer and maintainer prefer much more, because it offers the chance to create and enhance the standard in common and to then create bugreports for plugins failing to adhere to the standards.
Then, there is both a chance to collaborate and to directly point to the standard.

> For dialogs they should all follow the gnome hig guidelines [1],

why? they are not always good and Xfce has already its own standard wrt. headings etc.

> for
> the icons it is a bit different: sometimes the naming spec defines a
> name suitable for the plugin, sometimes there isn't something suitable
> or the theme used by the user has the icon not defined (while it is
> available in big themes, like gnome-icon-theme). Technically we should
> fallback in that case to a shipped icon. I could help here to handle
> this in the panel; an additional key in the desktop file
> X-XFCE-Fallback-Icon or look for an icon that matches the internal
> plugin name, something like that.
>
> So we need some more investigation on which plugins we're talking
> about and a checklist what points a plugin should follow.

Plz use the wiki for that purpose because there are already classifications and these lists can then be extended. Also, do not talk about some failing plugins but rather about all plugins, because otherwise you don't create a standard but rather insult the "failing" plugins directly.

Still, this is open source and everyone is free to program whatever she wants in whatever style, language, license, ... So one might think of not being too restrictive at all and instead be more constructive like sending GUI patches to the maintainer with some nice little text wrapped around like I did for the power-manager GUI for example and like I did with Jasper for the 4.4 panel.