[Goodies-dev] xfce goodies icon naming standard

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 16:00:10 CET 2010

It would indeed be nice if panel plugins look more the same in the
future, as you mentioned, icon(-names) and preferences dialogs are one
of them. We could setup a wiki or create bugs in the bugtracker (i
prefer this) to open bugs on each plugin to match the 'standard' which
we obviously have to design first.

For dialogs they should all follow the gnome hig guidelines [1], for
the icons it is a bit different: sometimes the naming spec defines a
name suitable for the plugin, sometimes there isn't something suitable
or the theme used by the user has the icon not defined (while it is
available in big themes, like gnome-icon-theme). Technically we should
fallback in that case to a shipped icon. I could help here to handle
this in the panel; an additional key in the desktop file
X-XFCE-Fallback-Icon or look for an icon that matches the internal
plugin name, something like that.

So we need some more investigation on which plugins we're talking
about and a checklist what points a plugin should follow.

Nick

[1] Old attempt to get this right in Xfce: http://wiki.xfce.org/dev/hig/general