[Goodies-dev] Current state of xfce4-namebar-plugin

Trent McPheron twilightinzero at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 01:28:20 CET 2010

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 20:31:40 +0100
Mike Massonnet <mmassonnet at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/11/2 Mike Massonnet <mmassonnet at gmail.com>:
> > Hi Trent,
> >
> > 2010/10/27 Trent McPheron <twilightinzero at gmail.com>:
> >> I apologize for the extra email. There's not really any edit functionality for mailing lists, it seems.
> >>
> >> If you'd like to see the current state of xfce4-namebar-plugin, I uploaded a tarball to my dropbox:
> >>
> >> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11745544/xfce4-namebar-plugin-0.2.tar.bz2
> >
> > Will see, maybe I'll write patches, maybe not, no promises :) I'll
> > just get it working now.
>
> Ok I managed to build it with xfce4-vala-4.6.1 and Vala 0.10.
>
> The attached patch was needed to get it compiled with Vala 0.10, for
> Vala versions prior to 0.10 there shouldn't be any problem.
>
> For the record, the commands were:
>   953  wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11745544/xfce4-namebar-plugin-0.2.tar.bz2
>   954  tar tf xfce4-namebar-plugin-0.2.tar.bz2
>   955  mkdir namebar
>   956  tar xf xfce4-namebar-plugin-0.2.tar.bz2 -C namebar
>   957  cd namebar/
>   958  ./waf --help
>   959  ./waf configure
>   963  ./waf build
>   966  sudo ./waf install
>
> My first surprise was that by default the plugin won't show anything
> at all. I would expect to see something by default when I add it
> manually to the panel thus I suggest you switch the default setting
> for "Show window title" to "Active window". Linux Distribution
> providing a default Xfce desktop might choose themselves what plugins
> to show in the panel and how to tune the default settings.
>
> Kind Regards
> --
> Mike

Thanks for checking it out, Mike. :)

Those aren't icon themes inside the archive; they're themes for the buttons. Not having a subdirectory was just a silly mistake on my part when I packed it up; sorry about that. And for the patch for vala versions prior to 0.10, I had it that way before, but when compiling with a new vala version, it recommended for me to use Stock. instead of STOCK_. If STOCK_ still works with the newer vala versions, I'll use it instead for backwards compatibility.

As for your defaults suggestion, that does make sense. The typical use of namebar as I see it may be in setups that get rid of maximized windows' titlebars, but it makes more sense to use active windows first to show that it works and to show any appearance changes.

I've already sent my request on foo-projects.org; I did so before my first email to this list. I'm just waiting to hear back on it.

Thanks,
Trent