[Goodies-dev] Calculator panel-plugin

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at uvena.de
Sat Jan 9 16:10:59 CET 2010

On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 06:19:50 -0800 (PST), Steve wrote:

Hi Steve,

> the plug in seems to be defunct. [per another user]and anyway I hope

Could you go into details? In what way is the plugin defunct? What's
wrong?

> your message does not discourage further development of the
> desperately needed apps and various improvements.

Huh?

> My intention was to simply express interest in it. Unfortunately, I
> seem to read the words "Already Exists" as no one cares and "Don't
> Bother" contributing to the community.

I don't get it.
I just said that a dictionary application exists. I don't see how you
did read something like "no one cares". I'm the developer of xfc4-dict
and the latest release is about two weeks old. Does that seem like "no
one cares"???

> the auto install I mean is about it being attached like a dependancy
> or similar whereby you cannot get the 4.6.0xx ++ installed w/o it
> being put in there automatically. - The great thing about distro

As I tried to say, this is the job of the distribution you are using.
The Xfce developers can't influence what packages a distribution
selects to install automatically on the user's system. If you are
installing Xfce from source, it's your decision, not those of the Xfce
developers.

> developers is the treat their users like a ghost. This seems to
> pretty frequent with most developers in my experience. Even the
> oliver dude that created xfce. A few of them even talk down to you
> when you ask a question [nuther xfce thingy] as though being in the
> beginning of the learning curve is a crime.
>
> [...lots of unrelated stuff snipped out...]
>
> Ya know, it's a crying shame that many of these linux related things
> get tons of money at times - hell, even venture capitol, and their
> idea of marketing and gaining popularity is a paltry giving away cd's
> and otherwise basically doing nothing to advertise.
>
> Linux is just another great hobby. Obviously I'm the only one who
> cares.

sorry, I won't respond on the many unrelated notes. I have no idea what
you are talking about.

Regards,
Enrico

P.S.: properly wrapping the text in your mails (e.g. at 72-80
characters) and properly quoting helps a lot to make people answer your
mails and be more welcome to you. Just a hint.