[Goodies-dev] xfce4-power-manager turning off monitor on lid close

Ali Abdallah aliov at xfce.org
Mon Oct 19 12:54:56 CEST 2009

Adam Black wrote:
> I don't have much knowledge of C or C++, and I would like to try and
> expand my knowledge of these languages in the future.
>
> For the time I'm busy with uni and don't have much time to spare
> anyway, but I had a quick look at the xset source code and it seems
> the XResetScreenSaver() function is the one which is worth investigating.

This function is used just for resetting the screen saver bit, usually
it is used by media player while playing a video stream to avoid screen
blanking, having XResetScreenSaver interfering here shows a dpms bug then.

> I'm not sure whether the problem is due to my particular laptop model.
> I have a dell xps m1330, and I had the same issues when I tried out
> the gnome power manager a while back. It could turn off the monitor
> but couldn't turn it back on automatically.

That's why i said isn't related to the running power manager, i mean
DPMSForceLevel DPMSModeOn should turn on the screen, if not then dpms is
broken for your system, and i think it should be reported to X guys.

anyway, i will post on your bug report if i figure out something else.