[Goodies-dev] xfce4-power-manager turning off monitor on lid close

Adam adam at fastmail.com.au
Sat Oct 17 06:08:32 CEST 2009

Hello,
I've just noticed recently that the xfce4-power-manager now powers off
the laptop monitor when the lid is closed and powers it back on when the
lid is opened, which is exactly what I've wanted for a long time.

The problem is that when the lid is opened the backlight turns on but
the display remains  blank and you have to press a key or move the
cursor before the xfce desktop is displayed again.

A while ago I came up with a acpi script to switch off and on the
monitor when the lid was closed or opened and I came across the same
issue with the screen being blank after opening the lid.

To solve the problem I issued the commands.
xset dpms force on
followed by:
xset s reset

Without the "xset s reset" line the screen would remain blank.

If someone can take a look at this issue it would be appreciated.

Adam