[Goodies-dev] ANN: xfmpc version 0.1.0 released

Mike Massonnet mmassonnet at xfce.org
Sun Mar 29 12:38:10 CEST 2009

Le Sat, 28 Mar 2009 23:22:00 +0100,
Fabian Nowak <timystery at arcor.de> a écrit :

> Hey,
>
> I just tried xfmpc from svn and still had lots of trouble finding the
> settings. Would you mind considering adding a regular settings button
> beneath the other two buttons and the combo box *and* add the settings
> to right-click context menus both for the main application and for the
> song list view?

That would than be a bare copy of sonata but in C. Starting from the
first version I was trying to do also a simple interface, but
different. The right main context menu may follow, but I kinda like the
little arrow button that is like never-used, maybe once you run the app
but not more and then to switch repeat/random.

"had lots of trouble finding the settings". Com'on, there are four
buttons, it doesn't take much time to click on them, and then you
already used the whole interface. Maybe the fact that you searched for
a right click menu means that you tried a habit that comes from another
player. Again, the settings button is barely used, so there is no good
reason to have it on the main interface.

> Also, the program crashed on my system when  trying to obtain the
> information from the context menu when not having a valid connection
> in the beginning and also at another action, can't remember which one
> it was, and the program is still loading for next tries...

I just reproduced, thanks for the catch, it's fixed.

> Apart from that, in the beginning I thought the program would have
> crashed after specifying the connection parameters in the settings
> dialog (same for regularly starting now) because it took too much time
> (more than 5 minutes for my 11K songs, 10MBit connection; and now
> waiting very long time for a second test run to finish) and the GUI
> was not responding. A quick glance at the network plugin gave the
> explanation: many megabytes being transferred... but/and CPU time is
> only at 22% on an AMD XP 3000+ (no waiting time).
>
> The other programs such as ario, g..., sonata take much less time (few
> seconds up to one minute) to even obtain the complete list and are
> much more responsive. I think it would be good to also obtain their
> speed level. Profiling might help in finding the most frequently
> executed functions or those that take the longest time. Do you
> transfer the files themselves instead of the database information
> only?
>
> The GUI could be made more responsive by introducing threads or doing
> some weird stuff with the gtk_main functions etc.

Unfortunately I don't have that much music, so I never tested. But I'm
not surprised that it hangs. It's something that needs to be looked
into. For the record, it's a loop that retrieves song after song the
playlist.

> Regards
>
> Fabian

Thanks for the feedback