[Goodies-dev] ANN: xfmpc version 0.1.0 released

Fabian Nowak timystery at arcor.de
Sat Mar 28 23:22:00 CET 2009

Hey,

I just tried xfmpc from svn and still had lots of trouble finding the
settings. Would you mind considering adding a regular settings button
beneath the other two buttons and the combo box *and* add the settings
to right-click context menus both for the main application and for the
song list view?

Also, the program crashed on my system when  trying to obtain the
information from the context menu when not having a valid connection in
the beginning and also at another action, can't remember which one it
was, and the program is still loading for next tries...

Apart from that, in the beginning I thought the program would have
crashed after specifying the connection parameters in the settings
dialog (same for regularly starting now) because it took too much time
(more than 5 minutes for my 11K songs, 10MBit connection; and now
waiting very long time for a second test run to finish) and the GUI was
not responding. A quick glance at the network plugin gave the
explanation: many megabytes being transferred... but/and CPU time is
only at 22% on an AMD XP 3000+ (no waiting time).

The other programs such as ario, g..., sonata take much less time (few
seconds up to one minute) to even obtain the complete list and are much
more responsive. I think it would be good to also obtain their speed
level. Profiling might help in finding the most frequently executed
functions or those that take the longest time. Do you transfer the files
themselves instead of the database information only?

The GUI could be made more responsive by introducing threads or doing
some weird stuff with the gtk_main functions etc.

Regards

Fabian

Am Samstag, den 28.03.2009, 15:48 +0000 schrieb
mike.massonnet at gmail.com: