[Goodies-dev] Git permissions

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Tue Jul 21 17:10:47 CEST 2009

Hey guys,

I spent today cooking up a new permissions script for the git update
hook. It's a lot simpler than what we use for SVN: it knows groups,
users and repositories and you either have access to a repository (e.g.
xfce/xwm4) or you don't. That's it. No regular expressions for paths
and stuff.

Obviously, this approach is quite limited. For instance, it doesn't
allow us to restrict access for translators to .po files only. But
since we're going to use Transifex that's not a problem. We can still
add path matching checks on top of this at a later stage, should we
decide we really need it.

The script can be found here:

  http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/xfce/git-permissions/update-hook.rb

It loads user, group and repository definitions from JSON files, but
that can be changed easily. JSON is just very comfortable to work with.

I've written definitions for the new git layout, including all current
SVN users. Only a few groups exist, but we can easily add more later:

  Users:
    http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/xfce/git-permissions/users.json

  Groups:
    http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/xfce/git-permissions/groups.json

  Repositories:
    http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/xfce/git-permissions/apps.json
    http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/xfce/git-permissions/archive.json
    http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/xfce/git-permissions/art.json
    http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/xfce/git-permissions/bindings.json
    http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/xfce/git-permissions/libs.json
    http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/xfce/git-permissions/panel-plugins.json
    http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/xfce/git-permissions/thunar-plugins.json
    http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/xfce/git-permissions/www.json
    http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/xfce/git-permissions/xfce.json

Please check if your accounts and projects are set up correctly and let
me know if something is wrong.

  - Jannis