[Goodies-dev] New: Stock Ticker Plugin for xfce-panel

Ali Abdallah aliov at xfce.org
Fri Aug 14 08:45:27 CEST 2009

Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 15:46:47 +0200
> Mike Massonnet <mmassonnet at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi Kevin,
>>
>> 2009/8/13 Kevin DuBois <kdub432 at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> I've been wanting a stock ticker plugin for the panel for a while,
>>> so I wrote one. :) It still needs a bit of tweaking, but what
>>> software doesn't? ;)
>>>
>>> Here's a screencap:
>>> http://www.viddler.com/explore/kdubois/videos/11/
>>>
>>> You can get the source from:
>>> http://kdubois.net/stock_ticker.tar.gz
>>>
>>> It needs libcurl (for downloading the data from Yahoo! Finance), and
>>> libclutter-gtk (0.8) for the animation.
>>>
>> The dependencies are a little "new". Fine for libcurl, but for clutter
>> I had recommend to make that an optional dependency (now I'm unsure if
>> this optional dep should default to true or false). If it is false it
>> is up to the packagers to activate it. For this to be noticed you
>> would simply need a summary at the end of the configure script.
>> Regarding Clutter, it isn't used currently in any of the projects
>> hosted by Xfce.
>>

> I think it's ok to use clutter. Goodies can do whatever they want
> anyway, even though it's wise to use Xfce dependencies as a reference.

I agree that Goodies have more liberty, but i dislike the idea of "can
do whatever they want",
it makes me feel like Goodies is completely another project and we
aren't working for Xfce,
probably you don't mean it, but this is my feeling as a goody developer,
at the end apps+
panel-plugins+thunar-plugins+.... are written to be used under Xfce.

(of course the usage of clutter is okay here).

I think with the new classification, Xfce is the collection of packages
that are released together
at the same time, other projects (Goodies) have more flexibility in
time, i think it is better to take
it this way and drop the Xfce vs Goodies.

(big advantage over the broken Gnome model),.

>   - Jannis

Cheers,
Ali.