[Goodies-dev] Stable, maintained goodies for the 4.6 installer

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at uvena.de
Thu Sep 25 18:38:23 CEST 2008

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 19:22:13 +0300, Alexander Iliev
<sasoiliev at mamul.org> wrote:

> Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 08:18:01AM -0700, Kemal Ilgar Eroglu wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Is the 4.6 panel API any different than the 4.4 one, or more
> >> precisely, are the plugins for 4.4 supposed to work on the new
> >> panel? If not, I will have to install the SVN version of XFCE and
> >> test my plugins first,
> >
> > Plugins should work fine on the new panel, but if you could have
> > them test before, it'd be better, especially since xkb-plugin (for
> > example) seems to crash with 4.6.
>
> Yep, and regarding that - is it possible to install 4.6 for a single
> user. I don't have a computer which is used exclusively by me and I
> don't want to update other users' environment.
>
> Yesterday I tried installing 4.6 under a normal user account but it
> libxfcegui4 seems to want to write library files in some libglade
> directory (and thus fails).

It is possible. We discussed this change some weeks ago on the devel
list as I'm also building my Xfce into my $HOME directory instead of in
a global location.

The solution is to build libxfce4gui with:

./configure --prefix=$prefix --with-libglade-module-path=
$prefix/libglade/2.0/

Obviously you should replace $prefix with your real used prefix.

A similar issue happens with xfce-utils, use this one:

./configure --prefix=$prefix --with-xsession-prefix=$prefix

Then you should tell your environment the non-default paths by
exporting the shell variable LIBGLADE_MODULE_PATH.

export LIBGLADE_MODULE_PATH=$prefix/libglade/2.0/:$LIBGLADE_MODULE_PATH

I've done this in my ~/.bashrc but I'm sure there are some other, maybe
better ways to do this.
This works pretty fine for me.

Regards,
Enrico