[Goodies-dev] Audio thumbnailer

Dirk Vanden Boer dirk.vdb at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 18:45:52 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 12:43 PM, Erlend Davidson
<E.R.M.Davidson at sms.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> Dirk Vanden Boer wrote:
>>
>> which let's you choose between different presets. The cdcase will be
>> one of them. I already tried overlaying a music note, but the result
>> wasn't really satisfactory, maybe I made the note too small but I
>> didn't immediately recognize the files as audio files.
>>
>> Other ideas are always welcome.
>>

> There should probably be the option to use an icon from the user's theme -
> as that will probably be the most recognisable thing around (they -
> presumably - chose it, after all).

Do you know of a way to get the current icon theme withouth dragging
in any gui toolkit dependencies?

> Attached is another idea... the oscilloscope waveform of the audio track.
>  This would clearly indicate that this is a sound file, and not a collection
> of music files.   It's difficult though!

I thiunk the problem of this approach will be performance and the fact
that it doesn't give a visual relation to the specific audio file.
Users won't recognize an audio file by looking at the waveform, so
showing any random waveform would give the same result. The id3 images
usually give some clue what the audio file will contain.