[Goodies-dev] system load plugin

Ângelo Miguel Arrifano miknix at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 20:49:34 CET 2008

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 05:25:46 +0100
Mike Massonnet <mmassonnet at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 06:53:38PM +0100, Siposs Attila wrote:
> Hi Siposs,
>
> > Hi List,
> >
> > First of all I want to say hello as a newcomer.
> > I want to declare that I am not a developer (but wish to be one time), but
> > as an xfce user I would like to make useful suggestions to make this
> > awesome desktop more better.
> >
> > Now I would like to say some notices about the system load plugin (it is
> > my favorite
> > beside the netload plugin).
> > In nowadays users often have dual core processors and there is no cpu
> > indicator
> > what can show the user the load of the different cores. For this I am using
> > htop on console.
> >
> > I would like to ask the developer of this plugin to extend the cpu-meter to
> > show the load of each core.
> >
> > Is it hard to implement?
>
> I can't tell how hard it is, but I know it has been done once for the
> cpugraph plugin.  I have to add that a graph is more some eye-candy than
> something useful, since it isn't possible to get back in time and check
> why it had a load of 70-80%...
It's very easy.
Before the code being merged with the cpugraph plugin, I made a "cpuload plugin"
to support showing the load for each core.

The plugin is here:
http://miknix.homelinux.com/xfce4-cpuload-plugin/

I'm quite busy by now with University stuff.
But maybe someone want to have a look at it and implement that on
the system-load plugin?

Siposs: You could just try the cpuload plugin.. It's a separate plugin,
but should fulfil your needs.

> Anyhow, a wishlist can be filled on http://bugzilla.xfce.org/ (look for
> the product Xfce Panel Plugins), and I invite you to do so.  If you have
> any questions about how to keep the desktop awesomer, feel free to ask
> and to contribute as you wish ;-)
>
> mike

Greetings,
--