[Goodies-dev] ANN: xfce4-fsguard-plugin version 1.3.99.1 released

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Sat Oct 20 06:37:05 CEST 2007

Am Fri, 19 Oct 2007 12:08:05 +0200
schrieb mmassonnet at gmail.com:

> On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 06:14:20AM -0700, Christian Dywan wrote:
> > Am Wed, 17 Oct 2007 00:10:14 +0000 (UTC)
> > schrieb mike.massonnet at gmail.com:
> >
> > > Hello dear Xfce users,
> > >
> > > I'm pleased to announce a new version of the FSGuard panel
> > > plugin.  It has little GUI changes with enough options to get the
> > > old design back.
> > >
> > >   * New options to display the amount of free space in a text
> > > label and in a progress bar, and the possibility to hide the
> > > button in the panel
> > >   * New icons based on Tango
> > >   * Redefined the strings
> > >   * Bug fixes and code cleanup
> > >
> > > Feedbacks, comments, bug reports are all welcome!  This is a first
> > > release candidate before final version 1.4.
> > >
> > > Best Regards
> > > Mike
> > > PS: Thanks to Robert Lange too ;-)
> >
> > Heya Mike,
> >
> > I just gave it a try and here are a few comments:
> >
> > 1. The progressbar is insanely uge. I'm using the stable Xfce.
>
> Fixed.  The patch is floating here:
> http://files.m8t.mine.nu/fsguard-set-size.diff
>
> > 3. The icon is fixed to a very small size. I would expect it to fit
> > the height (horizontal) or width (vertical) of my panel
> > respectively.
>
> That's most probably caused because of 1.

Great..almost. The height is perfect now and the icon fits. Yet the
progressbar is unnaturally wide, about four times the appropriate width
I'd say. It would be very nice if you could fix that.

> > 2. The label lacks padding.
>
> I can't really tell, but it is like the systemload and battery.

You are right, this is not a new problem. It seems you just happen to
be standing in front of the bulls eye while I am practising. ;)

Seriously, I think a little padding is needed. Sticking stuff
directly together side by side is just bad. You take it for granted in
(well designed) dialogs, why not in the panel?

> > 4. The German translation for the first checkbox is wrong. I can
> > update the po file and fill the new gaps as well if you want.
>
> Damn! :)  Go ahead.
>
> Btw. I'm not sure yet how to call the “progress bar”, I had like to
> rename it to “monitor”, or …

In my opinion "monitor" is a bit confusing. Progressbar is in fact just
the name of the widget, even to anybody unfamiliar with Gtk+ in
particular. So progressbar is not the best name but I wouldn't be able
to think of a better one.

I will wait with the translation for now since this is undecided. Feel
free to address me whenever you feel I should do it.

Yours,
    Christian