[Goodies-dev] use of gtk progress bar in panel plugins

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Mon Nov 5 19:21:02 CET 2007

Am Mon, 05 Nov 2007 14:21:51 +0100
schrieb Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac at corsac.net>:

> On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 01:12:46PM +0000, Stephan Arts wrote:
> > >
> > > And, yes, for the record, it's way better without animated
> > > progress bars...
> >
> > Are you aiming at some sort of non-animated progress-bars for
> > libxfcegui4?
> In fact I using the murrine engine, with a them using animated
> progress bar, and it shown a lot of poll() in strace (communicating
> with the panel) and the cpu usage was like 2/3% (on a dual core
> 2.2Ghz).
>
> Disabling animations helped a lot (but I still think progress bars
> aren't the best way to display this kind of information. Problem is
> that I don't really have a better idea)
>
> Regards,

Hi Yves-Alexis,

like you have already found out, how cpu intensive progress bars are
depends on the theme. I don't think there's anything wrong with using
progress bars for permanent status information. However I suggest you
could look for a way to disable animation particularly when they are
used in panel plugins.

Yours,
    Christian