[Goodies-dev] use of gtk progress bar in panel plugins

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at corsac.net
Mon Nov 5 14:21:51 CET 2007

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 01:12:46PM +0000, Stephan Arts wrote:
> On Nov 5, 2007 1:47 PM, Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac at corsac.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 12:14:11PM +0000, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> > > The thing is, quite a few plugins use progress bar to display information, and
> > > I don't think it's a really good idea. Progress bar are meant to display
> > > transitional informations, not permanent ones. And the way gtk implements it
> > > make them quite cpu intensive (it may depend on the gtk engines, though).
> >
> > And, yes, for the record, it's way better without animated progress bars...
>
> Are you aiming at some sort of non-animated progress-bars for libxfcegui4?
In fact I using the murrine engine, with a them using animated progress bar,
and it shown a lot of poll() in strace (communicating with the panel) and the
cpu usage was like 2/3% (on a dual core 2.2Ghz).

Disabling animations helped a lot (but I still think progress bars aren't the
best way to display this kind of information. Problem is that I don't really
have a better idea)

Regards,
--
Yves-Alexis Perez