[Goodies-dev] proposal for xfce4-power-plugin

Zach Carter linux at zachcarter.com
Sat Jun 23 20:24:28 CEST 2007

Hi:

I've been thinking about creating a panel plugin to help with power management
within XFCE.   This would be similar to the gnome-power-manager and
kpowersave utilities.   It would run as a front end to the command line package
called pm-utils, which is included in debian, fedora, and suse (any others?).

Initial features would include:
- suspend to ram
- suspend to disk
- powersave mode
- monitoring of power management modes and settings

Features to add later:
- automatic changing power states after periods of inactivity
- multiple power management profiles
- tweaking various power-related settings (laptop-mode, cpufreq, sched, etc.)

Is anyone already working on something like this?

Does this appeal to anyone?  I'll do all the coding, but I'd like to know if anyone
would actually want to use it.

Thoughts, Suggestions?

-Zach