[Goodies-dev] Window passing through events

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Sun Jun 3 12:03:26 CEST 2007

Martin Forsgren wrote:
>   Hej!
>
> I would like to write text on screen. Both above all windows and
> below all ( on background ).
>
> Currently I do it with shaped windows and it works.
> ( waiting for pygtk2.10 in debian for alpha channel on
>   the window shaping ).
>
> Now I would like the window to pass through signals to
> windows below. Someone who knows how to do this?
> Either as now with a window letting signals thru or
> writing directly to the screen somehow.
>
> So when pressing the right button on the text the
> xfce-program-menu should show up if no window is below,
> Or the mouse will move to a special place in a texteditor
> even if my text-widget is above.
>
> Anyone who understand the question?
>
> Im running Debian Testing, pyGTK2.8

To pass an event on to the background you need to find its window id
(xfdesktop sets a property on the root window) and synthesize a new
event. I think that should work.

I'm not sure if it's possible to pass on events to arbitrary windows
(the one below your window). Maybe you can use the netk_* functions in
libxfcegui4 to get a list of windows and then somehow determine which
one is directly below your window.

--
	Jasper